Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Eternal II: v0.4 Released!

05-21-2014, 07:18 PM,
RE: Dark Eternal II: v0.4 Released!
I never skipped any encounters but i'm not sure if they respawn to allow a bit of grinding, if they are that would help a lot!
Also I missed buying that special artifact from stormy, can I still buy it later?
05-21-2014, 07:38 PM,
(05-21-2014, 07:18 PM)BioFrEaK Wrote: I never skipped any encounters but i'm not sure if they respawn to allow a bit of grinding, if they are that would help a lot!
Also I missed buying that special artifact from stormy, can I still buy it later?

Hmmm, for the most part encounters are not repeatable and do not respawn.. I may be re-evaluating that based off use feedback.

The original idea was that I didn't want people to be able to grind their essences to max prematurely, but as time has gone by my stance on this has been shifting back toward respawning packs.

As far as the artifact is concerned, eventually you will be able to build your own city(Chapter 4) and one of the buildings you can obtain will allow you to teleport to old areas. This is the only way you will be able to re-obtain missed Key Items/Set Items.
05-21-2014, 07:52 PM,
Another vital question: is there any point in keeping a mastered essence on a character?
05-21-2014, 08:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2014, 08:46 PM by Hakuzen.)
(05-21-2014, 07:52 PM)BioFrEaK Wrote: Another vital question: is there any point in keeping a mastered essence on a character?

Only for elemental protection/Weakness and attribute changes.
05-24-2014, 11:14 AM,
..I only now discovered that if you press right you get an 'unleash' attack... Anything else I have no idea about?
05-24-2014, 10:27 PM,
(05-24-2014, 11:14 AM)BioFrEaK Wrote: ..I only now discovered that if you press right you get an 'unleash' attack... Anything else I have no idea about?

I'll be looking at moving Unleash into it's own visible command, or making it more obvious in it's current state at the very least.

Systems-wise, there is nothing else that is hidden like that.. If that is what you are asking.
05-24-2014, 11:16 PM,
Pretty much, yeah. I remember reading something about fusion attacks and transformations so I got a little confused.
05-25-2014, 01:24 AM,
(05-24-2014, 11:16 PM)BioFrEaK Wrote: Pretty much, yeah. I remember reading something about fusion attacks and transformations so I got a little confused.

Transformations are coming in Chapter 3, but the combo system was scratched and most likely will not appear in the game.
05-25-2014, 09:19 PM,
Just finished the game!

My thoughts:

I really enjoyed the balance of the game, all the fights were challenging and most importantly, fair. It really felt like you needed to think on what action would be best in the current fight rather than just use the same strongest attacks over and over again.
In fact, the way the battles were played really made me remember the Persona series.

The essence system works interestingly in that different characters can master different skills, after they mastered one essence they can take on another (do you need the essence equipped for the essence strike btw?) but I got the feeling they get mastered a bit too easily, maybe it's just because the game is in the early parts of the story and the stronger essences take longer to master.

The sanity system on the other hand is something that I haven't really noticed it's effect as strongly as the essence system. So far it's only effects were opening certain chests which gave consumables (i'd expect something more from such special chests). Other than that it seemed a bit too easy to balance, what with a big indicator being on top of the screen and the choices you make clearly indicate which of the gauge will increase. I'm not a game designer but I think it would make the game a bit more interesting if you didn't know which options given to you serve to fuel anger or depression (make the player himself try to figure it out). Maybe even remove the gauge telling you your current sanity level and have the game give certain effects which indicate your current state, although I imagine it might be more trouble than it's worth. It might also be interesting to have different sanity levels give different effects to the battles, like high anger giving you higher attack and higher depression improving your defense, because the chests themselves don't seem worth the risks of being close to the edge of death.
Also I found it funny that Zenogias gets depressed if he's not given the chance to be an asshole Big Grin

The story is, as expected, interesting and gripping. You chose a really fitting intro theme, as conspiracies seem to pile one after the other with no one side being painted as good or bad. I get a sort of matrix/zegapain feel from this game, but the segments of Danis talking to his therapist (?) could indicate a personal hell sort of story. I'll refrain from making assumptions and will just enjoy the story as it comes!

There were however some small things that bugged me, namely the lack of the tutorials or the explanation that your character could jump to reach certain chests, and most importantly those GODDAMNED SPIKES in the final area. Seriously, they got on my nerves a LOT.
There was also the case of pixels becoming corrupt when you load a savegame (see my previous posts), it seems to disappear if you leave an area and come back but it can still get slightly annoying.
Another issue that bugged me is that before some battles that usually have an event leading to them the party can remain unhealed and without ep for the battle forcing you to either heal midbattle or load an old save and heal before the event (The event leading to the battle with Malakai was the worst offender for me) but that might not be an issue for other people, or it might be part of the design so i'm not sure if this was really worth mentioning.

Well, that's my thoughts so far. Really glad I got to play it, hoping to get to the next parts soon!
05-26-2014, 03:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-26-2014, 03:28 AM by Hakuzen.)
Thanks for the post, Bio!

I'm glad to hear the balance was OK. As the developer and primary beta tester, I find it to be challenging sometimes to not make it too hard.. After all, I designed all the fights so I know exactly how they work.. It's a bit of an unfair advantage in considering balance, so I always try and compensate.

You are indeed correct about essences becoming harder to level. As of Chapter 2, 80% of the essences available are Tier 1. Tier 1 essences level the fastest, and Tier 5 level the slowest. You will begin seeing higher level essence in Chapters 3 & 4, with Tier 5 not making an appearance til endgame (Chapter 6) through extremely challenging encounters / puzzles.

I appreciate your concerns with the Sanity system. You are correct that as of chapter 2, the impact of Sanity is somewhat minimal. This will ramp up extremely quick, however, in chapter 3. Sanity gains in both directions will become more extreme, and automatic sanity events will begin to occur more often. The balancing act is intended to become much harder as you progress. The environmental effects of sanity will become much more pronounced in the 100+ , 100- territories, and you will begin to find essences, quests and encounters that will only be available at certain sanity levels. I like your idea about removing the indicator that tells you which choice does what.. It would add an element of chaos and make it harder to stack sanity in one direction or the other. I'll definitely consider adding this in the future.

Glad you liked the story so far! Look for major plot development in chapter 3, with chapter 4 containing probably the second biggest plot twist in the game.

Let me address the things you did not like,

Lack of Tutorials:
This is something I wrestled with myself, I got a lot of feedback indicating people did not like the old tutorials. Multiple people told me that I should just remove them outright, and others said I should find another way to do them.

In the short term, I decided to remove them. In the long term, I am formulating new methods in which to instruct the player on these systems. I'm currently considering solutions in-game, and also documentation based solutions.

Spikes in the final area:
These were supposed to be annoying, so I think mission accomplished on that one. =P

My main goal with Integral Camp O was to make it compact, maze-like and have multiple paths in which to clear it.. Some heavier on the spikes than others.

If others complain as well, I may consider reducing the amount of spikes, but I will not remove them completely.

Pixels becoming corrupt when you load a savegame:
Sadly, this is one of the final bugs from the RGSS1 >> RGSS3 engine upgrade. It is a very tricky issue, which involves the way the engine renders auto-tiles.

I will continue working to fix this issue, but as it goes away upon changing maps or entering battle, I did not feel it was worth delaying the project an unspecified amount of time just to fix it.

party can remain unhealed and without ep for the battle
This is intentional, as I do not want to neuter the game's sense of danger. If I were to heal the entire party before every boss battle, it would make battle/item/SP management mostly pointless.

That being said, as you have probably noticed, all MAJOR boss battles have a shiny white save point that heals the party in full. This will continue throughout the game.

Thanks again for all of your feedback, I will keep it in mind as I begin ramping up Chapter 3 development.