Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Window Mode Resolution

01-26-2014, 08:54 PM,
Window Mode Resolution
Hey Hakuzen and whoever else might be viewing this,

I just started on doing some Beta Testing on DE2 0.4.0 (I got the version off Facebook in the period when zenosoft.net was down).
I'm taking notes in the beta tester log file while playing the game in window mode. Unfortunately the window mode is restricted to 640x480, which makes it hard to read the dialogs on a full HD display due to being so small.

Is there any way to run the game with a command line parameter or can anything else be done to adjust the resolution?
01-28-2014, 08:58 AM,
RE: Window Mode Resolution
(01-26-2014, 08:54 PM)summon Wrote: Hey Hakuzen and whoever else might be viewing this,

I just started on doing some Beta Testing on DE2 0.4.0 (I got the version off Facebook in the period when zenosoft.net was down).
I'm taking notes in the beta tester log file while playing the game in window mode. Unfortunately the window mode is restricted to 640x480, which makes it hard to read the dialogs on a full HD display due to being so small.

Is there any way to run the game with a command line parameter or can anything else be done to adjust the resolution?

Hey Summon!

I am technically able to increase the resolution of the game now due to the upgraded engine, but to be honest with the level of assets I have it would not make sense to go any higher than 800x600, or 1024x768 at a maximum.

It would require an overhaul of about 33% of the graphics assets in the game, and would be a massive undertaking. At this point i'm trying to dedicate my time to getting the chapters out as quickly as possible, so doing something like this isn't really on the table.

That could change in the future, however.

So I guess that's a long winded way of saying no, not really =\ The only thing you can do is lower your monitor's resolution to compensate. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!
01-28-2014, 08:59 AM,
Oh, and the official release of 0.4 will be soon.. May want to wait for it! Quite a few fixes and improvements
01-28-2014, 09:26 AM,
Hey Hakuzen,

thanks for your answer! Pity that the resolution cannot be toggled. While I would usually enjoy the game in fullscreen mode anyway, it would be ideal for testing to ble able to switch to a higher resolution, regardless if it causes the game assets to be artificially scaled to that higher resolution (in fullscreen they are scaled anyway).

Looks like for testing I will have to go for adjusting the monitor resolution as you suggested.

Besides that, I actually like it that the game runs on a 640x480 resolution, as it helps maintain that typical old school RPG feeling.
01-28-2014, 09:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2014, 10:00 AM by Hakuzen.)
(01-28-2014, 09:26 AM)summon Wrote: Hey Hakuzen,

thanks for your answer! Pity that the resolution cannot be toggled. While I would usually enjoy the game in fullscreen mode anyway, it would be ideal for testing to ble able to switch to a higher resolution, regardless if it causes the game assets to be artificially scaled to that higher resolution (in fullscreen they are scaled anyway).

Looks like for testing I will have to go for adjusting the monitor resolution as you suggested.

Besides that, I actually like it that the game runs on a 640x480 resolution, as it helps maintain that typical old school RPG feeling.

The game actually isn't scaling anything when it goes into fullscreen mode, it's just changing your monitor's resolution to 640x480. I'm almost certain the engine is incapable of doing any type of resolution scaling.
01-28-2014, 10:34 AM,
Ok I guess I was inaccurate there. I didn't mean to say the game would perform the scaling.

As far as my understanding of TFT displays goes, the monitor has exactly one physical resolution. Setting the resolution of the graphics output any lower than that would cause output to be scaled so it could still be displayed in a screen filling manner. Without further research I would guess the graphics driver is responsible for scaling the output in this scenario.

And regardless of the particular resolution being used in fullscreen mode, the physical amount of inches of the screen being filled do remain the same.
01-28-2014, 10:14 PM,
(01-28-2014, 10:34 AM)summon Wrote: Ok I guess I was inaccurate there. I didn't mean to say the game would perform the scaling.

As far as my understanding of TFT displays goes, the monitor has exactly one physical resolution. Setting the resolution of the graphics output any lower than that would cause output to be scaled so it could still be displayed in a screen filling manner. Without further research I would guess the graphics driver is responsible for scaling the output in this scenario.

And regardless of the particular resolution being used in fullscreen mode, the physical amount of inches of the screen being filled do remain the same.

Right, you are talking about native resolution vs. applied resolution.

So if you go into full screen mode, it sends a message to the video card that it wants 640x480 and applies it until the game is closed, at which point the original resolution is restored.

So we're talking about scaling the entire input to the monitor vs. scaling just the game window by itself, which are two very different things.